How to make a career in international business law
When I left my job to work full time on a startup, I had 3 months living expense in the bank. I had no idea when we will make money from the startup. However, I was hoping I would find some freelance work so I could keep working on the startup.
And we did.
After reading one of the blogs I had started, an executive from a Japenese gaming company approached. He paid us Rs. 1 lakh to answer a bunch of questions about Indian legal system.
It was a very large listed company. They were going to empanel the largest law firms later for advice, but they just wanted some quick research.
That money ensured we had living expense for a few more months.
Entering a new country to set up a business is quite a challenge. You have to figure out several legal questions before you can even decide which market you want to enter and which ones you want to avoid. Wrong decisions can really trip you up.
Foreign companies entering India are the most lucrative clients of law firms. Law firm partners work hard at building relationships and network to land these clients.
However, Indian businesses expanding outward has been a more rare phenomenon.
Not anymore, though. Indian businesses, especially in tech, SaaS, QSR, healthcare, pharma, hospitality, digital media, energy, mining, manufacturing etc are expanding internationally like never before.
Even startup companies have valid business cases for international expansion.
As a result of this, India lawyers, company secretaries and compliance experts have a new opportunity before them - serving Indian clients with international expansion and new market entry related work.
Businesses need professional help in multiple stages - while strategizing and planning their roadmap for international expansion, while actually setting up their business in a new market, and then post-entry for regular operations and compliances. While specific help from experts in the relevant country is sought, having help at home or within the organization gives the businesses a massive edge. This is why legal professionals in India with international business expansion and market entry expertises are highly sought after.
Many lawyers, law students, and young compliance professionals want to build a career in international business law. This is the kind of work you do as an international business lawyer.
Join me for a 3-hour workshop where I will show you what is the work, how it is done and how to find these opportunities.I want to register for the workshop now
Who should attend this workshop?
- Law students and lawyers interested in developing a career in international business expansion and market entry work
- Lawyers, CS and CAs who want to advice successful startups and other businesses that are planning international expansion
What will you learn
- Why there is an unique window of opportunity right now to take a leadership position in this kind of work
- How to identify the businesses that need help with this work and how to get these opportunities
- What skills do you need to develop?
- Earning potential and job opportunities
- Apart from laws, what do you need to know about business, finance and management to succeed at this work
- Opportunity for working with international startups as a freelancer
- Does securing such opportunities require a lot of experience, or can freshers also secure them?