Are you interested in pursuing higher studies? Does a career in academics and research excite you?
Do you want to pursue an LLM after law school from an NLU or a reputed university?
Do you want freedom and autonomy in your career, in comparison to hectic corporate jobs or litigation? Do you want a stable job that allows you to pursue these goals?
Do you want to be known as a renowned academic and have the opportunities to travel and present your research globally?
Do you want to pursue an academic degree alongside your judiciary preparation?
If any of these questions are applicable to you, an LLM is the first step towards your goal.
Common concerns for Law Students and Law Graduates Who While Planning Out Their Future Career Path
Every law student is faced with these questions once or various times in their lives:
- I want to pursue deep research and enhance my knowledge - will an LLM help?
- I am taking a year out to prepare for the judiciary exam - should I pursue LLM as well to brighten my future career prospects?
- Where should I pursue LLM from? Are NLU LLM programs better?
- Will LLM help me get better corporate jobs?
- Should I pursue an LLM from India or abroad? What are the pros and cons of each?
Do you face this question? If yes, read on.
Overview of LLM Entrances in India
CLAT PG Entrance: The Common Law Admissions Test is a unified law entrance examination conducted yearly for aspirants seeking admission in NLUs for admission to either LLB (graduation) or LLM (post-graduation) programmes in India. It is organised by National Law Universities in India on a rotational basis.
According to the latest updates CLAT will be held twice in the year 2022. This will be the first time that the exam will be conducted twice in the year. A press release issued by the Consortium of National Law Universities read, “The CLAT-2022 will be held on May 8, 2022. The consortium has resolved that CLAT- 2023 will be held on December 18, 2022. Hence, in 2022 two CLAT examinations will be held in one year.”
AILET: All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) is conducted by National Law University Delhi (NLU Delhi) every year to offer admission to various candidates in undergraduate (UG), postgraduate (PG), and doctorate (PhD) level law courses. This is a university-level entrance exam only for admission in law programmes at NLU Delhi. The syllabus for the LLM admission for AILET is similar to the CLAT-PG syllabus, however, the pattern for this exam is solely MCQ based.
Delhi University LLM Entrance: The Delhi University holds the DU LLM Test every year for admissions of students in Universities offering LLM courses under its umbrella. The syllabus for this exam is a little extended than the CLAT PG syllabus and includes Cyber Law, Environmental Law and Intellectual Property Law.
Other State University Entrance Exams: IPU CET is another State level entrance exam for LLM admissions which is conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. Aligarh Muslim University also holds the AMU for admission of students to its LLM Programmes. Allahabad University and Bharati Vidyapeeth University are also amongst those Universities who hold entrance tests for admissions to its postgraduate programmes.
Foreign LLM: Many law graduates in India pursue LLM degrees from foriegn countries depending on the Universities or their preferred specialisations. Every University has its own application formalities which are required to be fulfilled.
Career options after LLM
Several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) make hiring decisions on the basis of marks obtained in the CLAT LLM.
If you attain a rank in the top 30 in the CLAT LLM, you may have the opportunity to join a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) such as BPCL, Indian Oil as a Law Officer.
Your CLAT-LLM rank is the primary eligibility criterion.
These are well-paying, stable jobs, and highly coveted.
If you have an interest in research and teaching, you can opt for various teaching opportunities.
Several law schools engage those who have completed their LLM degrees as a Teaching-Cum-Research Assistant or TRA or ad hoc faculty, where the salary is around INR 35,000.
You can also attempt the UGC-NET exam on the side, which enables you to apply for positions as an Assistant Professor.
The jobs are contractual initially, but you can subsequently be made permanent. Sometimes, vacancies are released for permanent positions directly.
LLM FROM TOP NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES
You can also obtain an awesome master’s degree i.e, the LLM from top Universities in the country. Studying from top national universities have their own perks, for example: great faculty, job security, placement offers, studying amongst the best students in the country, great environment for growth and these are only to name a few.
IS CRACKING LLM ENTRANCE EXAMS DIFFICULT?
- Constitutional Law - 50 marks
- Jurisprudence - 50 marks
- Other Subjects such as Contract Law, Criminal Law, Torts, International Law and IPR - 50 marks
- Constitutional Law
- Administrative Law
- Law of Contract
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Property Law
- Company Law
- Public International Law
- Tax Law
- Environmental Law
- Labour & Industrial Law
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THIS EXAM
Eligibility Criteria is one of the key elements which candidates need to fulfil to give the exam. CLAT LLM 2021 has been summoned by the National Law University Odisha for the aspirants who are attempting for admission to three (3) or five (5) years integrated LLB or LLM program in NLUs or private institutes, universities or colleges. The qualification standards for CLAT PG 2021 are the basic prerequisites that the candidates must satisfy. For ease of reference we have listed the prerequisites to sit for the CLAT LLM 2021 below:
- Nationality: Only Indian nationals and NRIs are eligible for the test.
- Foreign Candidates: The foreign nationals desirous of taking admission to any course in any of the participating Law Universities may directly contact the concerned University having seats for foreign nationals and check on their eligibility.
- Education Qualification: The applicants must have qualified LL.B or equivalent scoring minimum 55% (50% for SC/ST).
- Age limit: There is no upper age limit to appear in the entrance examination for Post Graduation courses.
- Final Year Candidates: The candidates who are appearing in their final year examination are also eligible to apply. These candidates are required to produce the evidence of passing the qualifying exam in their respective NLUs and other Law schools. If they fail to produce the proof, then they will lose their admission rights.
COMMON CHALLENGES FACED BY CANDIDATES
- NOT BEING ACQUAINTED WITH THE NEW PATTERN OF THE EXAM: If you are one of those people who are still contemplating whether you should appear for the exam or not, it's time for you to look up and see that the entire pattern of the CLAT PG examination has been shifted. The pattern has changed and the subjects have increased and ignoring the new pattern of the exam and preparing via old methods is going to put you in danger.
- EXTRA PREPARATION FOR THE NEW PATTERN OF THE EXAM: CLAT PG 2021 is going to be another ball game altogether, now you don’t only have to prepare the objective based questions but also start practising subjective essay type question current socio legal issues.
- LESS TIME FOR PREPARATION: With the changed pattern of the CLAT PG, it has become even more difficult for students or lawyers to prepare for this exam. Earlier only the Constitution and Jurisprudence held maximum importance, however now each subject of such magnitude holds the same amount of importance.
- TIME MANAGEMENT: To be able to solve a set of 150 MCQ based questions and write two essay type answers having 800 words each is a huge task in 120 minutes only. However, this will only be difficult for you if you have not practised enough. Therefore if you have practised enough nothing can beat you.
- ANSWER WRITING PRACTISE AND CONCEPT BASED STUDY: To be able to solve a set of MCQs does not require a great amount of practise however, to say the same thing for a subjective question is not true. The same goes for concept based study as well, if your concepts are not clear and you do not know your besica clearly, the LLM entrances can be a tough nut to crack.
Money back guarantee
After following the weekly time-schedules, attending all the live classes (applicable from next batch onwards) and attempting weekly Practice Tests for the initial one month, if you feel that the course is not up to the mark, we guarantee you a refund.
This course is recognized by the National Skill Development Corporation, a PPP under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship of the Government of India. You will receive a certificate cobranded by NSDC and Skill India on successful completion.
This is how the certificate from NSDC and Skill India will look as per the current applicable format (may change as per the approval authorities):
We provide Hard Copies, but the cost is not originally included in the current sum charged. Upon undertaking the Course, you may order hardcopies by incurring an approximate cost of Rs. 5000 (Shipping Charges extra).
Are hard copy study materials provided for reference, or are there only online classes?
Students of LawSikho will be provided hard copy materials, which we will dispatch within 45 days of your course commencement date.
However, online classes, videos, regulatory updates and periodic upgrades to the courses cannot be included in the hard copies. We will provide you with hard copy material for all important chapters. We keep adding many new chapters from time to time and there are restrictions on page numbers so all online material cannot be available in hard copy. We will keep adding new material online from time to time, so please do not expect all such material to be made available in the hard copy also. You can use the hard copy materials for your reference, however, we recommend that you do not exclusively rely on hard copies for cracking the assessment test and the exercises. Please refer to the online library of materials from time to time.
Note: We will send hard copy material through our service partners. We have three service partners.
- Indian Speed Post (Provides delivery ‘anywhere in India’ under contractual service)
- Trackon Couriers Pvt Limited
If our service partners do not have a presence in your area and want to get the hard copy, you can send us a specific request.
LawSikho will not be responsible if the speed post bounces back or hard copy material is not delivered. We will levy the courier charge on you in such a scenario.
Please visit the respective course page to learn more about the hard copy study material policy of that course.
What you will receive in the course
- 50 Live Classes in 6 months, 2 live classes per week for 1 hour each (which began from 6th November, 2021) on preparation strategy, how to find answers to specific types of questions, concept-based sessions, doubt-clearing sessions.
- Study materials for preparation for all subjects for CLAT-PG, AILET (for NLU Delhi), Delhi University and other State University Entrance Exams
- Past 10 years’ question papers analysis and solutions
- 355+ notes, 347+ pre-recorded videos and 10,000+ practice questions
- 300 practice essay-type questions, with in-line evaluations - given weekly
- 100 full-length mocks - 50 on CLAT PG, 20 on AILET, 10 on D.U. and 20 on other State University patterns to be fully prepared
- Weekly study time-tables
- Special weekly classrooms on last-minute preparation strategy
- Passage Based Assignments, specially designed for CLAT LLM- given weekly
- Monthly Case Law Magazines
- Latest Case Laws- given weekly
- Landmark Case Laws- given weekly
Please note that we do not provide any certification for this course, as it is solely for the purpose of test preparation.
Who Can Enroll For LawSikho Courses?
We recommend that you should have completed your Higher Secondary / Class XII from a recognized Board / University. In the case of foreign nationals, you should have completed the equivalent of Higher Secondary in India in your respective country. You should also be comfortable with the English language and using a computer. However, we have no formal pre-qualification requirements because we are not a University or college. Anyone who wants to learn is welcome to join our courses.
What Are The Days And Timings Of Classes?
We ensure that class timings enable a maximum number of students to participate and take out time from work or college while at the same time they are feasible for experts.
Classes will be of 1-hour duration and will usually be held in any of the following time slots:
Fridays: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm IST
Saturdays: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm IST
In case of extra class, it may be conducted on Weekdays in the time slot of 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm IST.
You will be informed of the class timings for the relevant week at least 24 hours before the class via email notifications and WhatsApp messages. We will also add it to your Google calendar.
We will ensure we have fixed timing for this class to schedule your day well in advance according to it as far as possible.
Recordings of class sessions will be made available on the online learning management system for access within 48 hours of the session conducted.
Here are some of our faculty members
Note: This is an indicative list of our guest faculty members and not an exhaustive list. We may change the faculty members at any point based on availability.
Above prices are inclusive of all applicable taxes and charges.
Get Sample Material in your inbox
Regular career guidance on email
Five very useful lessons
50 Live Classes including 1 Introductory Session, 2 Live Classes per week for 1 hour each (To begin from 1st July, 2021) on preparation strategy, how to find answers to specific types of questions, concept-based sessions, and doubt-clearing sessions.
Weekly Assignments based on Objective questions comprising 2 passages from which a total of 20 questions will be asked.
Weekly Assignments based on essay-based subjective questions comprising 1 essay writing.
Weekly timetables including the aforesaid assignments and recommended reading for the class issued every Monday.
100 additional practise assignments based exclusively on the current CLAT PG exam.
Special weekly classrooms on last-minute preparation strategy in the last month along with assistance on whatsapp