Do you want to make a name for yourself in the legal profession and secure decent earnings to support yourself and your family?
Are you stuck in a situation where you are not getting enough practical legal learning from your law college?
Does it feel like the law firms or legal opportunities in your city/town have shut their doors on you?
Are you feeling confused about how to secure the right kind of practical legal training that can actually help you to handle an assignment independently?
Are you feeling lost about how to find the right network or the right way to approach potential clients (without soliciting)?
Do you believe that your communication methods for getting a legal job/clients may not be up to the mark and may need sharpening?
We have some bad news for you. And some good news.
If you are looking to secure work in the traditional areas for lawyers like civil litigation and using the standard method of applying to jobs to look for employment in these areas, it can be very difficult for you.
This is because these areas have been in existence for many years and there are a lot of people looking for opportunities in these areas in exactly the same manner.
You will not be able to secure legal opportunities in the same way that you used to, before. It means that the understanding that you grew up with, as regards the work of a lawyer will have to be challenged.
But the good news is that a different kind of lawyering is now gradually gaining acceptance and will prevail in the coming years. This may not be the lawyering that you have traditionally seen, but it isn’t something that your seniors have seen either!
The new normal has forced lawyers to adopt the ways of the virtual world, learn to function in a virtual workplace, understand how the physical file storages have now been compressed into google drives, dropbox folders or other record management softwares, how the physical signatures have now been changed to digital, and how your market now extends not only beyond your city, but beyond your country.
The rewards of this new type of lawyering can be beyond your wildest dreams.
Imagine this: At one point of time, you can be struggling to find even the lowest paid jobs in your own city.
In a very short span of time, you can be calling people from the world over your clients.
Seems too good to be true?
Have a look at the reviews of assignments carried out by one of our students here:
She has 66 great reviews from clients from the United States, Germany, Australia, Philippines, UAE, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, UK, Hongkong, Singapore, Lithuania, China and India.
This is what the new type of lawyering can yield.
The only thing that you need in order to achieve these results is to develop your skill and then act on generating value for an employer and client. Just that the skills should be the ones that the industry needs.
Why did we make a paralegal associate course?
We realised that there were some specific skills which are very useful for law firms, but which are never taught as a subject in any of the law schools or colleges. These skills have become very relevant post the pandemic, since more people are working and hanging out online than ever before.
These skills include website and blog management, social media management, research, online form filling and submissions, managing video conferencing meetings over different platforms and community groups over WhatsApp, Facebook and other social media.
We have included these highly relevant skills in this course, which can result in you getting an entry into working with law firms not only in India, but also in other countries.
We are focusing on teaching the relevant legal skills for the US in this course since the market for law firms in the US in 2021 is USD329.7bn. This is the largest market in the world and something you should look forward to entering as someone who wants to provide paralegal services.
Diligently completing this course and acting with the support of our placement and freelancing teams can result in generating incomes in dollars of amounts you had never thought you could achieve.
What are the different types of opportunities available as a paralegal?
Here is an opportunity listed on LinkedIn by an Indian recruiter, recruiting for a law firm in Denver, Colorado.
The jobs with location “Anywhere” are consistently increasing in number.
Check out the number of jobs here - there are close to 500 remote paralegal jobs listed just on one site - indeed.com.
The different types of positions you can work in are:
- Virtual legal assistant
- Virtual paralegal
- Blog and content writer
- Social media manager for a law firm
- Remote litigation paralegal
- Remote contract specialist
How much can you earn as a paralegal / virtual assistant?
You can earn really well, if you understand how talent arbitrage works and can take the benefit of it.
Here is a salary survey from salary.com, which states that as of July 28, 2021, paralegals made between USD 51,970 and USD 102,380 in a year in the US.
Just to give you an idea, even if you earn half of the beginning salary stated here i.e. USD25000 in a year either through a remote paralegal job or through different freelance assignments, it amounts to approximately Rupees 18,56,520. This is an amount that second or third year associates get as an annual salary, even in the top law firms in India. And there is significant competition to get hired in these firms.
In India on the other hand, there is significant competition even for qualified lawyers, making it extremely difficult for someone to get a job at a paralegal level. But if you have certain skills for example - social media management, you can get hired. This is because traditional lawyers are not skilled in these areas. We will teach you such skills which can give you an edge, because any company or firm needs these skills.
Who should take this course?
- Young lawyers who want to learn and work as paralegal associates for Indian and US law firms
- Fresh lawyers who are looking to gain experience of serving international clients
- Law students and young lawyers who are looking to improve their communication social media skills to land employment faster with law firms
- Practising Advocates who want to gain an idea of the litigation work in the US and improve their communication skills
- CA / CS students who are interested in securing paralegal work from Indian and US law firms
What will you learn from this course?
- You will learn about communication in a structured manner. You will learn what kind of language should be used in formal and informal communications, one to one and one to many communications, use of appropriate words to convey your thoughts etc. This is the kind of practical guidance not available in legal courses anywhere else.
- You will learn how to send effective emails which can make someone take action.
- You will learn how to work with communication on WhatsApp and telephone calls as well as video conferencing meetings and understand the do’s and don’ts.
- You will learn how to assist a lawyer with their work on a daily basis and contribute in increasing the lawyers efficiency and productivity.
- You will learn managing documents in detail, right from understanding the background for a document, drafting it, reviewing it, arranging for execution, storage and renewals.
- You will learn exactly what you should review in a contract and how to find clauses which are favourable for or against your client
- You will learn to draft different clauses in the contract structure for technology contracts, limitations of their enforceability and negotiation mechanism.
- You will learn to advise on the applicability of different legislations in the domain of cybersecurity, data protection and privacy, electronic payments, records and signature.
- You will also learn how to advise on the applicability of different data protection laws in the United States including state laws like California Consumer Privacy Act and Federal laws such as the Privacy Act among others.
- You will learn the required skills to be able to successfully handle US IP paralegal work from India.
- You shall learn to undertake pre-registration work with respect to trademarks in the US such as conducting classification searches for your client’s goods/services as well as conducting availability and conflict searches for your client's trademark on the WIPO global brand database, United States Patents and Trademarks Office (USPTO) search portal as well as the Global Brand Database of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- You will learn how to overcome the objections raised by the USPTO on absolute and relative grounds laid down under the Lanham Act, 1946, after the trademark application has been filed.
- You shall be able to help US startups and small businesses in safeguarding their IP by advising them about the means of IP protection, registering their intellectual property, as well as assist them with the means of further monetization of their IP.
- You will learn how to draft takedown notices under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and will also learn how to deal with frivolous notices along with the suitable actions to be taken if the intermediaries fail to comply with the takedown notice or the counter notice thereof.
- You will learn how to deal with domain name infringement and cybersquatting through the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy of WIPO;
- You will get to understand the US legal system and the different types of lawyer roles, which can help you to better understand the work of the lawyer you are supporting.
- You will learn in-depth how to support US lawyers in litigation matters, covering documentation for discoveries, managing depositions, preparation of case files and e-filing related to litigation.
- You will learn how to manage the billing for a law firm, maintaining excel sheets and creating MIS reports for a lawyer’s office.
- You will learn how to manage and develop the social media presence of a law firm which can help a lot in gaining clients
- You will learn how to ensure knowledge management for a lawyer’s office
- Finally, you also learn how to use various freelancing platforms to get work and assignments as a legal assistant
Who will be your potential employers or clients
- Startup companies in India and US who regularly need legal help but cannot afford a regular lawyer;
- Large companies who have an in-house legal department and are looking to hire virtual legal assistants on a project basis during transactions or for managing specific documents in bulk
- Small and medium sized law firms who would find high utility in a paralegal who can manage their administrative tasks as well as the social media presence of the firm to acquire new clients
- Large law firms who may be willing to hire legal assistants on a temporary or project basis for sudden bulk work
- Small businesses around the world who are looking for legal help to review certain contracts or complete work for some specific transactions.
What is unique about this course?
- This course will arm you with skills which are actually not taught to lawyers but are very helpful in managing a law firm such as managing the social media presence of the law firm and the billing and financial MIS.
- Good communication skills are a rarity - even experienced lawyers can have difficulty in using the right kind of language for different methods of communication and this course will provide a structured training for communication modes which are in use in the current times.
- Often lawyers struggle with documentation management for their clients because of lack of time to organise and store these at the right place. This is something that a paralegal can take care of, very well.
- This course aims to impart a wide range of corporate law and compliance skills to students as well as to law graduates to work using technology which would enable them to take up remote freelance work directly or through various freelancing websites on the internet and will instil in them the required confidence to generate global clientele over the internet.
- Litigators in the US can often need the help of paralegals for completing routine forms. If you know exactly how to complete which form, it can fetch you a lot of freelance assignments. This is a very high value skill being taught by this course.
- Even experienced lawyers struggle with maintaining their presence on social media because of lack of time. This course helps to provide this highly in demand skill.
- The course is tough and intensive, you will not be awarded the certificate unless you complete the required number of assignments. You will have to invest 5-6 hours per week in developing your skills, in addition to the classes on this course.
- You will have interactive classes with high-quality discussions which will be taken by the experts of this course. You can get all the doubts resolved in the classes or even outside the classes through course groups and email.
- You will get personal attention and coaching from our trainers who will be assigned to you, and have access to a dedicated course anchor who will help you with submissions or any guidance or issues you may have as you progress through the course.
- You will receive in-line feedback for the assignments you submit, which will improve your performance to a significant extent.
- You will have access to other doubt clearing mechanisms also, in addition to the online classes such as a discussion forum where queries are responded to within a period of 48 hours, a WhatsApp group that will include your peers and batchmates as well as the course anchor, evaluator and support team from LawSikho.
Specific learning objectives
- Learn about the general organisation and hierarchy in a law firm
- Learn about the common policies and procedures which law firms use for hiring
- Learn about how the different kinds of documents used by law firms such as notices, contracts, complaints, petitions, responses, cover memos etc. are structured
- Learn how to format documents properly
- Learn how to help a lawyer with basic company and tax registration
- Learn about the rules of professional conduct applicable to lawyers and know identify ethical / unethical conduct for a law firm
- Learn how to use the right modes of formal and informal communication and how to use appropriate language to communicate your thoughts
- Learn about certain do’s and don’ts of communication such as use of emojis, slangs, GIFs etc.
- Learn about how to respond to queries of clients and present your arguments in a consistent flow
- Learn email etiquette - how to draft and write emails to prospective clients, employers, regulators, colleagues etc.
- Learn how to communicate effectively on an individual basis and in a group setting as well as act as administrators of a group on WhatsApp.
- Learn how to use different types of video conferencing platforms, mic and video controls, screen sharing, hosting meetings and managing participants
- Learn how to assist senior lawyers with organising their work such as setting up meetings using calendars, conducting basic and specific research for them and arranging the execution of documents for them such as engagement letters.
- Learn how to use document cloud systems such as Google Suite and Microsoft 365, which enable access to your documents anywhere and editing by multiple people at the same time
- Learn how to create great presentation slides for any presentations to be made by the lawyers
- Learn how to use different kinds of software for managing time, storing documents, customer relationship management and finance and billing
- Learn how to proofread legal documents
- Learn how to redline different types of legal documents and track the changes in the document
- Learn how to update and maintain databases storing client information and ensuring appropriate backup of the data
- Learn how to understand and draft various clauses of a business contract
- Learn about the US legal system, court system and different types of lawyer roles in the US, which can help you in providing paralegal services to US lawyers
- Learn about the types of services that you can provide to global businesses around technology contracts, licensing and transfers, data protection and privacy, fintech, cryptocurrency, e-commerce and cybercrime related work.
- Learn to do advisory and compliance related work for Indian and multinational tech businesses across jurisdictions.
- Learn how to conduct a trademark classification search according to the international NICE classification;
- Learn how to conduct a trademark availability/conflict search on the WIPO global brand database and the USPTO databases for wordmarks as well as device marks;
- Learn how to file an application at the USPTO through the Trademark Electronic Application system;
- Learn how to respond to USPTO office actions in respect of trademarks and designs;
- Learn how to draft UDRP complaints compliant with the UDRP supplemental rules and the responses thereof;
- Learn how to draft and send a DMCA notice to a user generated content platform located in the US;
- Learn how to draft a counter notice in response to a DMCA takedown notice
- Learn about the online privacy legislations in the US;
- Learn about the procedures for different types of courts and help with the documentation for filing suits
- Learn how to secure the required information, complete the necessary forms and ensure maintenance of submission of documents to the court as well as sending documents to the opposing counsel and party.
- Learn how to help with organising meetings with different parties involved in the litigation and gathering evidence and information for the lawyer to support his case and present the information in an understandable manner
- Learn how to prepare a timeline of events and good case summaries for the lawyer
- Learn how to draft discovery requests, record responses received to such requests and send follow up letters
- Learn how to draft subpoenas and motions to compel discovery
- Learn how to retrieve information from records maintained by various statutory authorities and regulators
- Learn how to work with witnesses and explain them the process as well as prepare them for a deposition
- Learn how to coordinate with expert witnesses
- Learn how to research issues which the attorney can use to frame questions during a deposition
- Learn how to conduct a background check on the witnesses
- Learn how to prepare transcripts of a deposition and prepare a summary of the same
- Learn how to manage the attorney’s timesheets and their billing
- Learn how to maintain the spreadsheets for maintaining revenues and expenses from a client and maintaining records of costs and fee receipts
- Learn how to manage and maintain a repository of document templates, making best practice checklists and maintain various playbooks and training materials
- Learn about how to prepare a social media strategy for the law firm keeping in mind their algorithms
- Learn how to get the lawyers and firms included in various lawyer related listings
- Learn how to manage websites and blogs for a law firm to land maximum traffic
What kind of assignments will you get?
Here are just some of the assignments that you will get to work on, in this course:
- You’re working as a paralegal with Adrian Goldberg, a lawyer in Denver, Colorado. Adrian largely deals with litigation in the area of intellectual property. About six months before, Adrian had represented a company in an intellectual property infringement suit. The client has now sent an email to the firm looking for certain documents related to the lawsuit which were very confidential. You need to be certain that the documents are not being sent to someone not authorised to receive them. Write an appropriate response to the email.
- You have coordinated a webinar for the lawyers and the participants in the webinar have been added to a WhatsApp group to send them the link for the webinar and some webinar materials. You are also an admin for the group together with the lawyers. However, one of the participants has sent a WhatsApp message to the group incorrectly stating the webinar materials forwarded to them have been plagiarised from some website. A couple of other participants have responded to the message believing it to be true. Draft an message to be sent to the WhatsApp group responding to the message alleging plagiarism and assuring the other participants.
- The attorney with whom you are working requires the business address and names of officers of five companies in different states of the US. Find these details and present them in a tabular format.
- You are working with Martha Garcia, a corporate lawyer working in California. Martha is about to give a presentation to a client on managing their stock options. She has given you some content in a document. Create a presentation for her using Google slides.
- Proofread a distribution agreement provided to you and mark the errors as well as put the correct language in comments.
- You are working as a paralegal with Ratna Sharma, a lawyer who practises before the NCLT in Mumbai. She has sent across some judgements to you, which she needs to use for her case. Prepare summaries of the judgements for her to use.
- You are working as a paralegal in the in-house legal department of Supernova Technologies Limited and Daniel Richards, the Deputy in-house counsel has just given you two Technology Transfer Agreements and asked you to review and redline the breach and enforcement related clauses in these agreements. Redline these for him.
- Technocures LLC is a California based healthcare services provider. The company is now looking to start another business of providing telemedicine, since it believes that it can use its existing network of doctors - general practitioners and specialists to increase this business. The management is, however, unsure of the applicability of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, 1996 (HIPAA) to telemedicine business and the compliance required under it. Create a report on the requirements that Technocures would need to take care of, under the HIPAA.
- Mintkeeper, a crypto startup comprising a group of four expert coders has developed a new token called SolidMint, with features of anonymity and possibility of international payments. The founders of Mintkeeper now want to incorporate the business and need your help with the setting up of a legal entity and understanding the compliance requirements that may be applicable to them. Advise them about the licenses and permissions required for setting up the legal entity in the crypto sector in California.
- A US national wishes to start the business of manufacturing and selling high quality toys. He wants to open various outlets across the US which will not only sell toys but will also serve confectionaries such as cake pops, donuts and beverages such as hot chocolates. He has come up with the name ‘Toys-R-Us’ for his business and wants to register the trademark for the same. For the purpose of filing the application, you need to conduct a classification search as well as an availability search for the selected trademark. Thereafter, you are required to present a search report to the client along with your opinion on the chances of success on the basis of the search conducted as well as the general principles of the trademark law.
- In continuation of the abovementioned situation, you are required to file the trademark application for your client through the Trademark Electronic Application System of the USPTO. Had your client been using the trademark prior to applying for registration, would he be required to file any additional document? Draft the relevant document to be filed along with the application. Some months have passed since he started the business and now he wishes to expand the same to other European and Asian countries. Advise your client as to how this can be done and do the needful through the Trademark Electronic Application System International along with filing the other relevant documents.
- Your client has applied for a trademark for which he has received a USPTO office action. In the office action, the examiner has cited certain legal problems with the application such as the specimen of use has not been submitted and the identification of goods for which the mark is to be used is indefinite and requires clarification as several clauses are too broad. The examiner has also refused the application on the ground that the applied mark is similar to a prior existing registration. Explain to your client how these objections can be overcome and draft the response dealing with all the objections.
- A businessman in the US owns and operates an e-commerce platform for dairy goods and other groceries under the domain name ‘freshfirst.in’. It is well-known and respected in the market for its product quality. Another company called Fresh Edibles Pvt. Ltd. has registered its e-commerce platform selling similar goods as your client under the domain name ‘freshfest.in’. Your client has received communication from several customers complaining about the quality of confectionery delivered by freshfest.in, since they believe it to be affiliated to your client. Brief him about the available remedy under the Uniform Domain name Dispute Resolution Policy of the WIPO. Draft the UDRP complaint for your client in compliance with the supplemental rules of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
- A graphic illustrator who applies the classic design principles of color, form, shapes, and layouts to organize and showcase original artwork has a page on Instagram where she posts her work. People interested in buying her prints directly message her and she sends the prints to their address. she recently came across this website called Printstock.com, which is a User Generated Content (UGC) platform, and was shocked to see that someone had made her illustrations available on the website for sale. Brief the illustrator about the takedown mechanism available for removal of infringing content from UGC platforms under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Draft the complaint fulfilling all the requirements laid down under the DMCA and send it to the UGC platform.
- Jack Welch is a personal injury lawyer working in Florida, US. He is representing the plaintiff in an injury case where a road roller on a construction site could not be stopped and ran over the legs of a young man who was measuring the road at that time, leading to permanent disability. List out whom you will reach out to for information in this matter, who can be potential witnesses and how you will present the information gathered.
- Draft a discovery request on behalf of Legal Realms LLP, a law firm working in the area of life insurance policy denials to get the details of the evaluation of the claim of Sandra Hayes, on the death of her husband Joseph Hayes.
- Prepare a good LinkedIn profile page for Dreamcatchers LLP, a law firm with 5 partners and 12 Associates.
Online 24/7 access
Access to basic study material through online learning management system, Android and iOS app. Recordings of all classroom sessions will be available.
Hard Copy Study Material
Hard copy study material modules to be couriered to your address in India.
2 practical exercises every week, followed by written feedback
Live Online Classes to Teach Paralegal Assignments Specific Work
There will be a live video-based online class to teach you specific US intellectual property work performed by paralegals. You can ask questions, share your screen, get personal feedback in this class. Every week there will be approx. 1-1.5 hours of class to teach you the work and give you feedback. There will be recordings available in case you miss a class.
Convenient Class timings
Classes are held after regular work hours. Typically classes are kept on Sundays or 8-9 pm on other days.
Live Doubt Clearing
You can ask questions in class, or on the learning management system when you read a chapter. You can also schedule a one-on-one session with evaluators to perform exercises or write articles.
This course is recognized by the National Skill Development Corporation, a PPP under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship of the Government of India. You will receive a certificate cobranded by NSDC and Skill India on successful completion.
This is how the certificate from NSDC and Skill India will look as per the current applicable format (may change as per the approval authorities):
Money back guarantee
If you take this course, follow it diligently for a month, attend all classes and do all the exercises but still do not find value in it, or are not able to understand or follow it or not find it good for any reason, we will refund the entire course fee to you. It is a 100% money back guarantee with only one condition, you must pursue it properly for a month. If you don’t find it valuable after that, get your entire money back.
Client Opportunities, freelancing opportunities & Recruitment Support where required
Many employers, law firms and companies are happy to recruit our high performing students. If you do well in your exercises and classes, we can help you to get jobs, internships and assessment internships in good law firms, with renowned lawyers as well as in various companies.
Our team helps our students in building their profile on LinkedIn and freelancing platforms to increase their reach to the potential recruiters or clients.
Our experts guide the students on how to crack any interview.
On-demand, we provide mock interviews for our students looking for jobs.
We share multiple internship/recruitment opportunities every week on our Whatsapp group.
We help our students to get internships not only at law firms and chambers, but also with rising startups in diverse sectors.
Our mentorship helps students to avoid running in the rat race behind the regular job openings; rather we help them design their own path based on their personal interests.
We share multiple and diverse client opportunities with our pool of practicing advocates on a daily basis. Our references have helped several advocates really scale up their practice. The opportunities range from contract drafting to complex international taxation matters.
Industry Academia Panel
Co-founder and Chief Knowledge Officer, LawSikho
Lawyer | Placements Head at LawSikho | Want to hire trained legal talent at no cost? Get in touch! | Environment Law Enthusiast |
Founder at Buzz Up Marketing | LinkedIn Marketer | Social Media Marketer | Contributing to B2B businesses in scaling up, with Lead Generation
Head of Freelance Training Services at LawSikho
Here are some of our faculty members
Note: This is an indicative list of our guest faculty members and not an exhaustive list. We may change the faculty members at any point based on availability.
Part 1: Theory and Video Based Studies
Introduction to the Job Role of Paralegal Associate - Legal Documentation
- Role and responsibilities of a ‘Paralegal Associate - Legal Documentation’
- Identify the sub-sectors in the management and entrepreneurship sector
- Describe the common organisational structures and various functions in a law firm
- Describe the common policies and procedures followed in various law firms relevant to employment and performance conditions
- Describe the general hierarchy of communication in a law firm
Document design and structure
- Describe the functions and particulars of pleading, signing and verification
- Describe the process of civil and criminal pleading
- Prepare legal documents by modifying approved existing precedent documents
- Common document designs for complaints, petitions and responses and cover memos for registration of entities
- Drafting basic contracts
- Drafting legal briefs
- Interpret information from dictated notes, notes provided and audio recordings and use as instructed
- Use a range of software commonly used in legal firms for drafting and to ensure accurate completion of the task
- Formatting, placing appropriate pagination and footnotes as well as legal references
- Perform proofreading of documents for accuracy of content and consistency of layout and style
- Perform printing of documents, back-up copies, save and store the document in the appropriate folder
Maintenance of records and documentation in a law firm
- Identify the information systems used for recording and managing data and information
- Describe the use of various software applications used for the storage, retrieval and communication of data and information
- Maintain filing system for essential correspondences, contracts, case-related documents and specific documentation given by the authorised persons for filing
- Describe the archiving procedures and appropriate file retention periods
- Maintain a catalogue of the files/documentation in the office and take inventory periodically
- Taking care of data security and confidentiality protocols in managing client data
- Describe the relevant court processes, current legislation, legal processes and the required documentation
- Describe the protocol with reference to retrieval of legal documents
- Establish that safety and security measures are in place as per the organisational procedure
- How to help a lawyer with basic company and tax registration
- How to help lawyers and resolution professionals with insolvency recoveries
Workplace safety, rescue and first aid
- Explain possible causes of “hazards” and “risks” present in the work environment and related precautions that need to be taken
- Explain hygiene related concerns to superiors
- List the causes of fire and other accidents and ways to prevent them
- Describes the various fire extinguishers for different types of fires
- Demonstrate appropriate first aid in different situations
- Describe the emergency procedures during accidents or hazardous situations
- Explain the types of safety signs and their significance
- How to assist with installing processes of energy conservation at the workplace
- How to assist with instilling values of gender sensitivity and inclusion at the workplace
Principles of Professional Practice and knowledge management
- Explain what personal and professional goals are and how to develop them.
- Discuss the importance of continuous learning and developing a professional development plan.
- Explain the importance of displaying professional appearance and behaviour at all times.
- Demonstrate ways of communicating with team members and different stakeholders in a professional manner.
- Discuss the importance of completing duties accurately, systematically and within required timeframes for professional and organisational success.
- Explain guidelines on confidentiality of data and documents collected.
- Discuss the importance of policies related to non-discrimination and rights of the clients.
- Explain the ethical and unethical conduct in a workplace.
- Identify inappropriate workplace behaviour and ways to manage them.
- Identify conflict of interest and how to resolve it.
- Making process manuals for the law firm
- Ensure implementation of productivity tracking
Part 2: Practical Modules (Online class-based)
Module 1: Formal and informal communication
Basic essentials in any type of communication
- Understanding the difference between formal and informal communication
- Communicating informally with colleagues in English
- Communicating formally - what kind of language should and should not be used
- One to one and one to many communications
- Use of slangs and short forms - where is it not appropriate to use
- Use of emojis, GIFs, forwards etc.
- Gender sensitivity in communication
- How to put across your thoughts - in speech and writing
- Answering questions
- Presenting an argument
- Communication for persuasion
- Presenting data and information for better and easy comprehension
- E-mail addresses, replying, copying and blind copying etiquette
- How to write emails to different people - prospective employers, clients, opposite parties in litigation, government or regulators, colleagues
- Writing follow up emails
- Managing attachments, sorting inbox into folders and tracking responses
- Email signatures and auto responses
Communicating on telephone calls, audio conference calls and WhatsApp
- How to initiate and end a telephone conversation
- General courtesy on conference calls
- WhatsApp dos and don’ts - individual communication and group communication
- Managing WhatsApp groups as an admin
Communicating in video conferencing meetings
- Commonly used video conferencing platforms and how to use these
- Handling mic and camera during video conference meetings
- Hosting video conferencing meetings, muting and unmuting participants
- Screen sharing and using whiteboard
Module 2: How to assist lawyers with their work
- Monitoring calendars and fixing meetings
- Reminders and Deadline management
- Making travel arrangements if required
Conducting basic research
- Finding contact information
- Researching basic statistical data for something
- Researching relevant blogs and articles and marking them up for reading
Conducting advanced research and drafting summary
- Researching entity information
- Researching case related information
- Writing great case summaries
- Background research
- Business development related research
Execution related work
- Arranging execution with Docusign and storing signed copies
- Arranging for stamping and notarisation of documents
- Managing Folders in Microsoft Office and Google Drive and also managing access to these
Module 3: Document Management
Using Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Documents, Spreadsheets and Slides - what are they best used for
- Sharing files
- Using images and drawings
- Creating slides for presentations
- Managing databases - different types of data entry roles
- Introduction to different types of commonly used software
Review and proofread legal documents
- Examine the text for spelling, grammatical and terminology errors and apply corrections.
- Describe how to flag errors and track changes.
- Compare the proofs against the original copy to identify errors or omissions.
- State the syntax and citation protocols Identify accepted and unaccepted copying and mark unaccepted for rectification.
- Use the defined legal terms consistently throughout the text, giving proper definition of the terms.
- Inspect all titles, headings, the case caption, and the client’s name and correct any errors or omissions identified.
- Preparing transcripts where required and also redacting the documents using proper manner
Reviewing, Summarising and organising documents
- Examine and summarise documents for lawyers
- What kind of documents will you come across and what do you need to review in these
- How to prepare excellent document summaries
- How to present the relevant information in flowcharts, tables etc.
- Why and how of document review
- How to use checklists for document review
- What do you need to be careful about while transcribing depositions, meetings or hearings into a written document
Records Management Work
- Maintaining client information files and updating databases relating to client entities
- Maintaining and storing all communication received from and sent to clients in a physical and / or electronic form
- Ensuring that a backup of the data is taken periodically to take care of system failures
- Confidentiality and privilege management, database management, data security and access control
- Managing confidential shredding and coordinating with firms providing confidential shredding
Module 4: Overview of the US Legal System
Sources of US Law
- Legislation - Acts, Rules, Regulations,
- Case law
- Common law
- Contract and administrative law
- How are statutes enacted in the US?
US Court system and hierarchy of courts at federal and state level
- US Federal Court System
- US State Court System
- District Courts, Trial Courts and Courts of Appeals
- The US Supreme Court
- The Jury System
- The US Department of Justice
- The Attorneys General
Different types of Lawyer roles in the US
- Negotiator - Mediator
Module 5: Paralegal skills associated with Drafting and vetting various Specific Agreements and Contracts
Introduction to Parts of a Contract
- The different parts of a contract, and the sequence in which different clauses customarily appear in a contract
- How to draft Title, recitals, definition and interpretation clauses
- Drafting Representations and Warranties clauses and covenants
- Conditions Precedent, Conditions Subsequent and Completion
- How to Draft Obligations and Payment Clauses for Contracts
- Term, termination, renewal and survival clauses
- Assignment and Change of Control Clauses
- Confidentiality, non-compete, non-solicit and exclusivity clauses
- Waiver, Variation and Severability clauses
- Notice and communication clauses
- Governing law, Jurisdiction, Arbitration and Dispute resolution clauses
How to draft some of the essential clauses in various specific contracts/ Agreements
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
- Non-Disclosure of Agreements (NDA)
- Partnership Agreements
- Lease Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- Master Service Agreement
- Trademark Licencing Agreements
Breach and Enforcement related clauses
- The concept of breach and what kinds of scenarios amount to a breach
- Legally permissible remedies in the event of a breach
- Contract enforcement in the UK including the hierarchy and jurisdiction of courts along with the reliefs sought.
- Contract enforcement in the USA including the hierarchy and jurisdiction of courts along with the reliefs sought.
Module 6: Paralegal skills associated with Intellectual Property Rights
Introduction to Intellectual Property Protection in the US
- What are the different types of intellectual property rights recognised by US laws
- How to conduct a trademark classification search through the WIPO and USPTO portals
- How to file a trademark application in the US?
- How to deal with USPTO office action received against a trademark application
An overview of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Implementation of the two WIPO treaties through DMCA
- Limited liability to the internet service providers
- Penalties under the DMCA
- How to draft a DMCA compliant takedown notice and counter notice thereof
How to draft a cease and desist notice for infringement of intellectual property in the US
- What is a cease and desist notice?
- When should one send a cease and desist notice?
- How should a cease and desist notice be drafted?
- Responding to a cease and desist letter.
An overview of the Arbitration and Mediation Mechanism at the World Intellectual Property Organization
- Who can use WIPO Alternate Dispute Resolution?
- What is domain name infringement, cybersquatting, domain name hijacking and reverse domain name hijacking
- Which top-level domains (TLDs) can you initiated a UDRP complaint for
- Overview of US dispute resolution procedure
- The essentials of a UDRP complaint
- How to draft and file a UDRP Complaint
Module 7: Paralegal work in Technology laws
Technology laws, Data Protection and Privacy
- Federal data protection laws in the US
- State level data protection laws in the US
- Legislations in the US dealing with cybercrimes and cybersecurity and compliance required
How to draft technology transfer agreements
- What is the technology being transferred
- Scope of transfer in terms of territory and exclusivity
- Mode of transfer
- Essential clauses
Different types of electronic signatures and their uses
- Em-signer / DocuSign / other software
- Scanned or Pdf signatures
- Managing E-signed contracts
Introduction to Blockchain & Cryptocurrency
- How are cryptocurrency regulated in the United States?
- How do laws and compliances vary at state and federal level?
- What are the different kind of compliances to be undertaken by businesses
- How to assist businesses setting up a crypto exchange, crypto wallets or offering coins or tokens
How are fintech businesses regulated in the US and what are the compliance requirements?
- Applicability of consumer protection laws to fintech companies
- KYC / CDD related compliance
- Compliance under specific regulatory requirements - securities or commodities regulations, insurance regulations or banking regulations
- Compliance required depending upon the form of business entity
Module 8: Paralegal work in Business and corporate laws
How to choose the right form of business organization
- What are the factors to consider while choosing the right form
- How to choose the right state for forming a company if you are a non-resident
- Entity types depending upon sectors
How to register a corporate entity
- LLCs, C-Corporations, S-Corporations
- Requirement to hire a registered agent
- Reserving a name
- Submitting incorporation documents
- Which officers do you need to identify
What are the constitutional documents and how to draft them
- Operating Agreement
Obtaining EINs and Overview of Taxation
Module 9: Paralegal work relating to litigation
Preparation of legal case files for submission and case management
- Identify various types of courts and their submission procedures related to the case documentation and court etiquettes.
- Access relevant information in the client file.
- Access precedent from the firm’s existing documentation and library.
- Prepare files and clusters of documents and the right number of copies as per the requirements of the court procedures.
- Identify the authorised signing parties.
- Choose the appropriate delivery and payment method.
- Plan for secure transport and submission of the documents to the court/tribunal.
- Record information regarding deficiency from court officials if documents are deficient and cannot be lodged.
- Collect and file proof of lodgements and any associated documents appropriately.
- Apply the appropriate manner of entering into and departing from the courts/tribunals.
- Court and court website management
Trial and litigation management
- Assistance in collecting evidence, getting information,organizing meetings by maintaining contact with people involved in the case
- Preparing case summaries and notes or transcription from client conferences, mediation sessions, etc
- Preparing pleadings and organizing research materials for review by attorneys
- Organizing evidence, preparing exhibits, scheduling witnesses, ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed, taking notes in courtroom
- Preparing and forwarding summons and subpoenas
- Prepare chronologies and timelines
- Editing of documents using Adobe Pro and other pdf editing software
- Keep a running agenda of tasks that need to be performed during a case
- Gather enough data or information for the case and present it in an easily digestible manner
Discovery related services (for US lawyers)
- Drafting appropriate discovery requests to the opposing party
- Calendaring the due dates associated with the outgoing discovery on your own and the attorney’s calendar
- Recording on the case file accordingly if no responses are received
- Preparing follow-up letters to opposing counsel and parties regarding non-receipt of information
- Assist in drafting and filing a “Motion to Compel Discovery”
- Review discovery responses in-depth and prepare a summary for the perusal of your attorney
- Review, log (date-stamp) and organize the incoming documents and make a list of deficiencies in the response received.
- Assemble documents to be produced for courts and opposing counsel as a part of discovery and prepare necessary indexes and charts
- Assist in drafting subpoenas duces tecum (subpoenas for documents) to be directed to non-party persons or entities as may be appropriate
- Keep track of due dates for subpoenas duces tecum, put the same in the calendar and receive, log and review any documents received in response to the same
- Assist with medical records requests, review, organization, and summary - this may be required for insurance cases, personal insurance cases, divorce cases and a lot of different matters
- Retrieve information from public records by conducting a search
- Drafting interrogatories, requests for production and requests for admissions during the discovery phase of a lawsuit
Managing Depositions (for US lawyers)
- Preparation of witnesses before they appear in a deposition before an opposing counsel by telling them what to expect and how to respond to questions so that they do not jeopardize their own case out of nervousness or are not taken advantage of
- Explain the process to witnesses and opposing parties who show up at the deposition, especially when they are not accompanied by their own lawyers
- Coordinate with expert witnesses, explain to clients and deponents about how to respond to objections, rules of deposition and consequences of breaking those rules and when to let attorneys sort things out before opening their mouth
- Research issues to find information that the attorney can use to frame questions during the deposition
- Conduct case law research that helps the lawyers to choose certain legal strategies and frame certain questions accordingly
- Arrange the evidence already collected, including the evidence that disputes the testimony of the witnesses from the other side, to assist lawyers during questioning in a deposition
- Conduct background search on the witnesses
- Organise mock depositions mock trials at times
- Schedule depositions, put the same on the calendar of their attorneys and prepare deposition digests that would be used later
- Prepare accurate deposition transcripts, and prepare a summary of the same
Module 10: Financial Administration and MIS for a Lawyer’s Office
- Managing legal billing software, sending invoices, collection, sending reminders to clients for payment
- Preparing the attorney’s timesheets
Managing MIS for revenues and expenses
- Maintaining spreadsheets that track costs for a client or profitability of a practice area or a monthly information system (MIS)
- Maintaining records of costs and fee receipts by verifying outstanding balances with attorneys, clients, and service providers
Module 11: Knowledge Management
Knowledge Management for a lawyer’s office
- Organizing and managing templates and standard form precedents for future use;
- Making best practice checklists;
- Designing workbooks, playbooks, training manuals and study material;
- Creating slides and pitch decks;
- Organizing webinars and sending regular industry relevant updates to clients.
- Connecting with potential clients on social media on behalf of the lawyer
- How to maintain and manage an email list
Module 12: Contact listings and Social Media Management
About Social Media Platforms and their Algorithms
Preparing a Social Media Strategy
- Developing a good social media profile
- Target audience
- Content Strategy
- Social Listening - building mass trust and one to one communication
- Measuring the results from your social media strategy
Listings and other mechanisms
- Including yourself in contact listings and identifying the right ones
- Lawyer specific listings
- Coordinating and managing webinars
Module 13: Website and Blog Management
- Creating a website for yourself over Wix or other platforms
- Learning about SEO - on-page and off-page
- Managing blogs to get maximum traffic
- Guest blogging and developing PR
Module 14: Navigating and using freelancing platforms
- Creation of Fiverr account- Video
- Optimization of Fiverr account- Video
- How to register on People Per Hour and UpWork- Video
- Optimization of People Per Hour account- Video
- Optimization of Upwork Account- Video
- How to use Linked In and Facebook for freelancing opportunities- Video
- How to build your web page for freelancing- Video
- How to create proposals and pitch for work on freelancing platforms - Video
- How to approach US law firms / companies for remote freelancing work - Video.
Above prices are inclusive of all applicable taxes and charges. Option to convert your payment into 2 instalments is available on checkout page.
Printed study material (by courier)
2 practical exercises/ Drafting exercises per week (24 weeks)
6 writing assignments
1-2 online live class/week
Get digital access to entire study material
Access on LMS, Android & iOS app
Instructor feedback on assignments
Doubt clearing on WhatsApp, LMS & classes
Instructor led course with online live classes
Online exams (give exams as per your convenience on given time slots)
Certificate (by courier)
Coaching for professional networking
Internship & job support
Interview preparation support
Networking with students & alumni
Content access for 3 years
Doubt clearing within 24 hours
Top performers are recommended for jobs and client opportunities