How to find commercial contract drafting work as a freelancer - step by step guide
Register now for 3 hours-workshop
Freelance contract drafting skills and ability to find that work is like a superpower.
When I was a law student in need of some quick side income to pay college fees, this is what helped.
When I quit my law firm job and started a startup with just 3 months’ rent in the bank, and had to find a way to stay afloat, this is what helped.
When law graduates come to me to find a solution as they are struggling to find a job or earn enough, this is the skill I recommend them to learn.
When work-from-home mothers want to build a freelance practice, this is what helps them quickest.
Even when our students manage to get an internship or remote work abroad, this is one skill that helps them the most.
If you are a lawyer struggling to build a litigation practice, hanging on by the seat of your pants, dreaming of bootstrapping your way to wealth, freelance contract drafting work will not only help your finances, it will also give you enough time to pursue your passion in litigation which may not pay you well enough.
However, one thing I am sure changed my life forever. From the 1st semester, we were asked to write 5 original well-researched publication-worthy project papers of 5000 words each. It was massive pressure and seemed to be an impossible task in the beginning. And it took me several years to learn to game it, maybe because I actually loved writing those papers.
If you want to work at a law firm, not knowing how to draft a contract well would be disastrous for you.
Even in disputes practice, lawyers are most of the time dealing with contractual disputes. This means if you have drafted many contracts and the clients appreciate your work, they may come to you if they ever have a dispute over that contract. This is why those who want to build a good litigation practice should take contract drafting very seriously.
If you are a young lawyer trying to find a job, contract drafting skill will help you to stand out because I cannot imagine any law firm or a law practice where contract drafting skill is not required.
If you are a young lawyer, it is a great idea to learn how to draft commercial contracts. You can also say that not learning to draft contracts is not really an option. However, you also need to learn how to find the work, without which you may not see the results you want.
When you can find a lot of drafting work, you will learn fast, build a network of clients and build the foundation of a roaring law practice.
However, where can you learn how to find freelance contract drafting work?
We will teach you in a 3 hour live workshop, free of cost. It is nothing like anything you have ever come across. You do not want to miss this. Book your time for 6-9 pm on 15th January.
Who is this for
- Law students
- Young lawyers who are struggling to secure corporate jobs in the current environment but want to acquire some highly sought-after skills before their next interview and also earn a supplementary income
- Young lawyers who want to earn on the side while preparing for competitive exams such as judiciary or UPSC
- Young litigators who want to earn a supplementary income by performing independent contract drafting assignments on the side
- CA or CS who are interested in earning a supplementary income by performing contract drafting work
- Work-from-home moms who do not want to lose touch of their legal knowledge while also earning a decent income
What you will learn
- Is freelancing a viable career option for me? How much can I earn from freelance contract drafting?
- I want to be a corporate lawyer/ litigator/ in-house counsel. Is it helpful for me to do freelance work?
- Online portals where you can find freelance work
- How should I build my profile for maximising the likelihood of securing freelance work?
- Can law students do freelance legal work? Or is it too early?
- How can I use Linkedin to get freelance work?
- I already have a profile on Lawyered/, Freelancer.com, UpWork, Provakil, SooLegal, etc. However, I am not getting much work. What am I doing wrong?
- How to do your own outreach for bagging freelance work
- What do I have to learn before I can offer freelance services?
- How to make a winning proposal or send a quote that gets accepted
- How should I price my services as a freelancer?
- What are the most common objections that clients will have while considering me for freelance work and how should I get past them?
- Can freelance contract drafting be a full-time career option for me after I graduate?
- How much can I earn if I perform freelance work on a full-time basis?
- How will freelance work experience help me if I want to shift to a legal job?