No case in Supreme Court can be filed without appointing an Advocate-on-Record (AoR).
The highest court of India which is the penultimate temple of justice for indignants in the country is not accessible unless you appoint an AoR.
Oftentimes, AoRs don’t even appear before the bench and are generally the ones whose name is associated with the case.
Supreme Court Rules, 2013 prescribes a set of fees that should be abided by for filing cases in the Supreme Court however the reality may not be as set out in the rules.
For instance the fees prescribed under the said rules range from ₹5k – ₹24k to draft and appear before the Supreme Court.
In practice, imagine charging ₹15-20k per case just to sign on the vakalatnama – in reality, this is what many AoRs charge to file a petition in the Supreme Court.
If they have to perform substantial drafting work, the charges can be higher.
AoRs for more than 4-5 years charge anywhere between ₹40-50k just for drafting and filing and additional fees to appear before the bench.
This is not only an excellent opportunity to earn, but it can also help your clients save money if you can draft and file the petition in your own name in the court.
Further, if you can argue the matter, which is much easier now owing to virtual hearings, you can charge separately for that.
For more complex petitions, charges can go up to ₹2 lakhs/ petition.
Imagine if you perform the following work:
- File 1 case per month at an average of ₹20,000 for drafting and filing,
- Draft 5-6 petitions per month at an average of ₹5,000 per filing for other senior lawyers
- Attend about 2 hearings per month in the Supreme Court charging INR 20,000 per hearing
How much will you earn in a year?
Let’s do the math.
20,000 x 12 + 25,000 x 12 + 40,000 x 12 = ₹10,20,000
That’s an annual amount of ₹10 lakhs merely from Supreme Court work, which you will be working on part-time.
How will this influence your local and state practice?
If your clients have a choice between you and a cheaper lawyer who only performs trial court or High Court work, who will they prefer?
Chances are that many of them will prefer you, because they know that you can help them right up til the Supreme Court.
This is very doable – 40,000 cases lodged in the Supreme Court in 2018, of which 645 cases were filed by a single AoR firm!
Imagine establishing an AoR firm in Mumbai and managing your current practice in the High Court and trial courts and yet be able to cater to clients who require cases to be lodged in Supreme Court. (This is possible as long as you are able to fulfil minimum criteria prescribed by the Supreme Court.)
Do you fancy this?
By the way, you can achieve all of this by cracking the Advocate-on-Record exam. Do you want to know more about how to crack it?
Join us in a free 3-day bootcamp from 10th – 12th April, 6-9 pm on each day, where we will help you to plan out your preparation and discuss this step-by-step.
We will discuss:
- Why the dream of being a Supreme Court lawyer is more reachable today than it was any time before
- How to become a renowned Supreme Court lawyer even if you are not based in Delhi?
- Syllabus, exam format, past years’ paper analysis, difficulty level of the Advocate-on-Record Exam
- Roadblocks faced by lawyers attempting the AoR exam for the first time
- How to create a roadmap to crack the AoR exam and how to create a daily study plan
- Books, case laws and resources for each subject
- How to find an AoR with 10 years’ standing and satisfy other prerequisites for becoming an AoR
- How to establish your practice after you qualify as an AoR
Remember to attend this bootcamp live – no recordings will be available. You can attend through your mobile phone as well.
We guarantee you that what you will learn in this bootcamp is not available anywhere else, both online and offline.
If you want to be notified about other workshops and webinars conducted by LawSikho on Supreme Court Practice, please join the Telegram or WhatsApp group below:
Telegram Group: https://t.me/joinchat/VlcPkD6lTNt7G8iK
WhatsApp Group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/KGIK7Gz2z6c6yoxrTWvZtD
See you there!