Details of Nirma University Conference
Nirma University Conference is being organised on an International level on ‘Right to Equality: Contemporary Challenges’ on March 25 and 26, 2023 in the hybrid mode.
The concept of rights represents respect for human life and its needs – biological, individual, social, political and civil. Right to Equality is one of the basic interests of the social human recognising the equal dignity and liberty of all. The basic right of humans to equal treatment has arisen out of centuries of continued existence in social categories and hierarchies that have ensured the dominion of the dominant over the other.
Hence, modern constitutions, by recognising right to equality, have been pursuing a transformative goal of achieving greater dignity for all. The formal promise and enforcement of equality through constitutional provisions might not always be enough. We need to constantly revisit our rules and processes of interaction so that they may remain in consonance with our fundamental rights.
This conference is aimed to initiate new discourses and continue the existing conversations on the furtherance of the right to equality, especially in light of the contemporary developments across jurisdictions.
Objectives of the Conference
A periodic and critical reconsideration of our values and the structures created and processes enacted to further those values ensures a thorough awareness essential for the fulfilment of our collective goals. The Institute aims to provide a platform for a collective reassessment of challenges faced in the enjoyment and enforcement of the universally recognised and constitutionally protected right of persons to equality.
A gathering of scholars, practitioners and students from around the world on a common issue shall be a useful occasion for knowledge sharing and resolution of shared institutional challenges facing the realisation of right to equality for all.
Outcomes of the Conference
- Ensuring effective participation in the academic and social life of the nation.
- Platform for discussion for the scholarly community on contemporary issues.
- Publication of a collected volume of selected papers.
- 25th March (Saturday): The event would be held offline at the Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- 26th March (Sunday): The conference would be held via zoom through online mode.
Note: It is up to the participating members to choose their preferred mode.
Details of Nirma University
Founded on the vision of Dr Karsanbhai K Patel the Institute of Law, Nirma University (ILNU), established in 2007, focuses on bringing about a paradigm shift in the delivery of legal education in the country.
It aims to add newer dimensions to legal education that would incorporate international standards and provide an environment for innovation and dynamic scholarship. Embodying the principles of justice education, excellence, and professionalism, ILNU imparts
quality legal education that has produced new generation of lawyers, leaders, and policymakers over the years.
Sub-themes of the Nirma University Conference
The following sub-themes have been recognised for the conference:
- Equality of Status
- Rule of Law and Tyranny of Majority
- Gender Justice
- Minority Rights
- Fraternity and Secularism
- Equality of Opportunity
- Affirmative Action
- Reservation for the Economically Weaker Sections
- Equality of Access
- Access to Economic Resources
- Access to Political Representation
- Access to Environment Resources
- Access to Effective Legal Remedies
- The conference is open to academicians, practitioners and students of law, politics and social sciences.
- The conference will be held in the hybrid mode.
- The participants may participate either in the online or offline mode.
- University shall assist in finding accommodation, if required, for the duration of the conference.
Original and unpublished research papers and articles on the themes mentioned above are invited to submit.
The following guidelines shall be followed for submission of articles for the conference:
- The interested participants are required to send their working paper with abstract and keywords by March 15,
- The abstract shall not exceed 250 words.
- The submission shall be accompanied by a cover page containing the title of the paper, along with the name, designation and institutional affiliation of the participant.
- The following requisites shall be followed for the submission of working papers:
- Co-authorship is allowed to a maximum of two authors.
- The paper shall be between 4,000 to 6,000 words.
- The Citation style shall be Bluebook 20th edition.
- The paper shall be shared in MS Word format with the file name.
- The text of the paper shall be written in the font style Times New Roman, with font size 12 and line spacing of 1.5.
- The footnotes shall be in the font style Times New Roman, with font size 10 and line spacing of 1.
- A margin of 1 inch shall be left on all sides.
- The decision of the screening committee regarding the selection of the paper for the Conference shall be communicated within twenty-four hours of submission.
- Upon selection of the abstract, the participants shall register by paying the prescribed registration fee. The registration form shall be filled and the registration fees shall be paid latest by March 20, 2023. The registration form along with the mode of payment of the registration fees shall be notified with the response mail indicating selection.
- The details of registration fees are given hereinafter.
- It is recommended that the registration process is completed immediately after the receipt of acceptance mail.
- The papers selected at the end of the conference shall be published in a collected volume.
Dates to Remember
- Last Date to submit the full paper: March 20, 2023
- Communication of selected paper: Within 24 hours of submission
- Last Date for payment of Registration Fees: March 20, 2023
- Date of Conference March: 25-26, 2023
How to Register?
Click on the “Yes, I am Interested” tab on the right corner of this page and fill out the form. Once you submit the form, the institute will get in touch with you
The institute will further explain the following process: